Do you find yourself in need of disaster restoration for your commercial property? Are you interested in learning more about what to expect if you ever do need to get in touch with a restoration company that provides this type of service? Do you just feel a little bit inexperienced when dealing with disaster cleanup? If any of this sounds like you, then you’re in the right place. Below, we’ve put together a list of seven of the most important tips for you to keep in mind when you need to think about damage restoration services. These tips will help you keep a level head and know what to do in case a disaster should befall your commercial property.
- Do not risk yourself or others in trying to rescue or save items or property. It may be tempting to go back inside for important documents, merchandise, or electronic devices after a disaster has occurred, but the most important first step to remember before anything else is to get out of the property and stay out of it. Your fire restoration technicians will be willing and able to restore and repair many items from your property once they get to work on them, and anything that can’t be repaired is likely to be covered by your commercial insurance. Do not risk danger to yourself for items, and keep in mind that restoration will take place. Your property will get back to normal, but you will need to get in touch with professionals to make that happen.
- Work with a company that is willing to help you with insurance when necessary. A good disaster restoration company will be happy to speak to insurance providers on your behalf and to provide the insurance company with any information they need to properly file a claim. This can be a very trying time for you, so you want to reach out to a company that cares about you and what you’re going through. You don’t want to be left alone to try to deal with all of the hoops you have to jump through after dealing with a disaster in your property.
- When dealing with fire damage, know that smoke damage is a serious issue. Many property owners do not think much about smoke damage immediately following a fire, but this is actually one of the biggest risks in any property after a fire has occurred. Smoke can cause a lot of damage to surfaces and items, and it is very dangerous to inhale. The heat and flames of the fire likely won’t do as much damage overall as smoke will, but your restoration service company will be capable of removing the smoke from your property and cleaning up items that have been damaged because of it. They are professionals and will be able to look for areas where unexpected smoke damage may have occurred, even some distance away from the source of the fire and the rest of the damage.
- Choose a restoration service that will give you as much detailed information as you want or need about the cleanup process. Yes, any restoration company should be willing to provide this information to the insurance you’re working with. However, they should also be willing to give you this information. You may be curious about the process of cleanup and restoration in your property, and you may want to know a time frame for when you can return to the property as well. Of course, you will need to try to remain patient with your disaster cleanup crew as they work to restore your business to a safe state, but they should also give you updates on the process and let you know what steps they’re taking to clean up and repair your property and items, too.
- Keep in mind that you will need to think about water restoration as well, even if your property has suffered a fire. Just like smoke damage, water damage may not first come to mind when you think about your business after a fire. However, firefighters used water to put the fire out, and so there is going to be water damage throughout the property as well. This may include mold, mildew, and bacterial growth from exposure to the water, as well as general damage. Your restoration service techs will be able to remove remaining water and dry out the property as well as clean up any mold so that it will not return.
- Understand that mold is a serious risk when it comes to flood cleanup. If there has been any type of water damage in your property—whether from a flood or from fire relief efforts—mold is a huge risk factor. Your restoration company should understand this, and should get to work right away examining the structure internally for signs of mold spreading throughout the building. Mold may grow outside of the affected area and may not always be visible, but a team of professionals will ensure that it is totally removed from your property before you return.
- Pick a restoration company that is available 24/7. When disaster strikes, you want a restoration service company that is going to be ready to spring into action and help you no matter what time of the day or night it might be. For this reason, you should have a company already chosen ahead of time if possible, and you should always pick one with 24/7 services and estimates. Responding to a disaster in a timely fashion can make a huge difference in what is salvageable and what isn’t, so call as soon as you are able to do so. Your service company will come out and begin assessing the damage right away if possible, and get you on your way to a restored and repaired commercial property in no time.
When you’re looking for damage restoration services in Naperville, Illinois and the surrounding areas, contact Restoration Techs. We are here to help you 24/7 with emergency services or estimates for your commercial property. Contact Restoration Techs at 800-600-3594 or 630-761-4900 and set up your service today, or fill out the form below and one of our representatives will contact you as soon as possible.